For the SharePoint migration project, we identified the need for reducing the overall SharePoint migration effort. The project scope is to migrate 21000 SharePoint sites from the on-premises environment into the Microsoft cloud throughout the year 2021 and into 2023.
To achieve this target, we have set 3 action points; 1. Clean up obsolete and duplicate sites, workflows and customizations, 2. Reduce the complexity of existing functionality and solutions and 3. Analyze existing custom solutions and recommend retire/replace/rebuild of those solutions based on their business value.
We will need a dedicated person to coordinate and manage the SharePoint Inventory review for:
1. Manage clean-up of unused sites and functionality using the detailed SharePoint sites lists provided by the migration team. Guidelines will be applied but independent analysis and pattern recognition will be required for success. The findings must be aligned and agreed with the different ITS sections The expected result is a detailed collection of sites/functionality that can be removed for the SharePoint 2013 farm.
2. Identify and initiate reviews for the top 100 most complex sites based on the provided inventory and known complexity. These sites must be investigated by contacting the site owners and discuss the business value of those sites (cost/benefit). After alignment in ITS, the expected outcome is a list with critical sites where the migration team should prepare an action plan.
3. Coordinate reduction of shared complexity by identifying customizations, solutions, functionality used by many sites. This should be done in orchestration with the migration team and findings must be aligned with the separate ITS sections.
4. Communicate and manage the complexity reduction guidelines and recommendations in ITS. Due to the big difference between the on-premises and cloud environments, the transfer of existing functionality requires lots of effort. The reduction message has to be evangelized in ITS any possible moment.
• Analysis of obsolete sites and functionality
• Work within ITS with the site owners/departments to classify sites/solutions as obsolete
• Coordinate the cleanup in ITS
• Analysis of customizations in sites and functionality
• Work within ITS with the site owners/departments to identify reduction opportunities
• Coordinate the reduction efforts in ITS
• Manage the Top 100 site list and prepare a fact sheet per site to discuss with the site owners or management
• Participate in daily standup with the migration team
• Categorization of sites in terms of value and/or criticality (business value, critical process, etc.)
• If required, contact site owners to verify the findings and ask for additional information.
• Good English
• Multicultural/ International attitude
• Precision when processing data
• Polite and understanding
• Assertive in tracing responses and decisions
• SharePoint administration experience
• General understanding of IT infrastructure (network, proxy, Virtual Machines, VPN, etc.)
• Pattern recognition methods
• Basic understanding cost/benefit, value chain, processes